Sunday, February 10, 2008

Why do people give chocolate on Valentine's Day?

Valentine's Day is a holiday celebrated on Feburary 14. It is a day on which people in love express their love for eachother; sending cards, flowers, and chocolates. For me, this holdiday has always been one that I have dreaded, mostly because I don't have anyone to share it with. I personally think the holiday is over rated and some people tend to get way too into it. Even though I don't have anyone to share it with, there is one reason that makes me so excited; all the chocolate that I get to eat. Chocolate is a major plus to Valentine's Day. It is said by the food network that "every year individuals consume at least ten pounds of chocolate". Chocolate flies off the shelves around Valentine's Day because of how it makes people feel, and can let someone know how much you care.
One of the most pleasant effects of eating chocolate is the "good" feeling that many people expierence after they eat it. Chocolate is said to "contain have over 300 known chemicals in it" (food network). The most ovbious chemical is caffeine. The mixture of certain chemicals in chocolate makes people feel somewhat "high" after indulging it. It is hard to find someone that doesn't like chocolate, and for most, Valentine's Day is an excuse to eat as much as you want.
For me Valentine's is not too important, but I think of it as a countdown to a day that I can give myself chocolate and not feel bad about eating it. I looked into why chocolate is so popular for this holiday, and the answers I found were somewhat the same for most. The most well-known reason that people give chocolate on Valentine's Day is because chocolate enhances women's sexual drive. I couldn't help but to laugh when I heard this statement, but I feel that it has something to do with the "good" feeling people get after indulging it. Some people think that chocolate is a good thing to give because it fits into a heart shaped box, or chocolate can be formed into hearts. One person said, "because it is good!" There are many reasons as to why people tend to buy chocolate on Valentine's Day, but for me it seems that it is just a known gift to buy someone.
The reasons are somewhat the same as to why people tend to give chocolate on Valentine's day, but for me it is just a day that I can send myself some flowers and eat tons of chocolate. In Elementry school we always used to make little mail boxes for our desks and an hour before school got out we would exchange Valentines. Everyone always gave chocolates of every kind. My mom would hate it because I would come home from schooling acting crazy due to all the chocolate I had eaten. Most adults try to limit the amount of chocolate their kids eat because of how it makes people feel "high" to a certain extent. I could eat chocolate everyday and not feel bad about it, but for some reason eating it on Valentine's Day gives me somewhat of a rush. I have always found it interesting that people give chocolate on Valentine's Day, but one thing I know for sure is that I am not going to complain.

No comments: